jueves, 3 de mayo de 2012

Infinitives












Infinitives are defined as  

to + base form of the verb

They have several functions.

1. Used as subjects* and subject complements. 
    To know me is to love me.
     To live in Hawaii is my lifetime dream.

    *In older English; In modern English, this (an infinitive as the subject is unusual in an informal style.) 
2. Used as objects following certain verbs.*
    I wanted to tell you how much I appreciated your gift.
    He hesitated to ask the embarrassing question. 
    *The negative is not to: We decided not to go out because of the weather.
3. Used as a shortened form of in order to.
    You must take this medicine (in order) to get well.
    I went to the bank to cash a check.
Infinitives can sometimes take objects of their own.
    We hope to find the person who did this.
    I was asked to make a dessert for the potluck dinner.
*These verbs are commonly followed by infinitives.
afford 
beg
decide
forget
intend
mean
prepare 
seem
threaten


agree
begin
demand
go
know how
need
pretend
start
try

  appear
care
 deserve
happen
learn
neglect
promise
  stop
volunteer

 arrange
choose
desire
hate
like
offer
refuse
struggle
 wait

  ask
claim
expect
hesitate
love
plan
regret
swear
want

  attempt
  consent
  fail
  hope
  manage
  prefer
 remember
  tend
  wish

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario