lunes, 21 de mayo de 2012

MODALS


- Modals -
1) can
Use
Examples
ability to do sth. in the present (substitute form: to be able to)
I can speak English.
permission to do sth. in the present (substitute form: to be allowed to)
Can I go to the cinema?
request
Can you wait a moment, please?
offer
I can lend you my car till tomorrow.
suggestion
Can we visit Grandma at the weekend?
possibility
It can get very hot in Arizona.
 CAN’T - When you’re certain something is not true
This painting can’t be by Rembrandt. It’s too modern.
2) could
Use
Examples
ability to do sth. in the past (substitute form: to be able to)
I could speak English.
permission to do sth. in the past (substitute form: to be allowed to)
I could go to the cinema.
polite question
Could I go to the cinema, please?
polite request
Could you wait a moment, please?
polite offer
I could lend you my car till tomorrow.
polite suggestion
Could we visit Grandma at the weekend?
possibility (something is possible or likely in the future)
It could get very hot in Montana.
Deduction (something is possible)
 It could be true that it was all his own work.
3) may
Use
Examples
possibility
It may rain today.
polite suggestion
May I help you?
4) might
Use
Examples
possibility (less possible than may) *
It might rain today.


5) must
Use
Examples
necessity (sth is necessary or important in your personal opinión)
I must go to the supermarket today.
deduction (you’re certain)
You must be tired.
advice, recommendation
You must see the new film with Brad Pitt.
MUSTN’T - prohibition
You mustn't work on dad's computer.
6) have to (semi modal)
Use
Examples
 Necessity (something is essential or a general rule)
 When you develop a new design you have to try it out a number of times.
DON’T HAVE TO – sth is NOT necessary
They don’t have to be here. We can decide  ourselves.
7) need not
Use
Examples
not necessary
I needn't go to the supermarket; we're going to the restaurant tonight.
8) should / ought to
Use
Examples
advice
You should drive carefully in bad weather.
obligation
You should switch off the light when you leave the room.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario